In January 2018, we created a new Member’s Blog for you to share your thoughts. Keep an eye out to see what your fellow Winchester and Chandler’s Ford Labour members are thinking, and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to contribute.
Recent national developments illustrate more than ever the need for greater balance and political control. Locally, we are still suffering the extreme ravages of the austerity and poverty punishment from the Tories. The resignation of Amber Rudd demonstrates that the Windrush witch hunt was simply to instigate a purge of immigrants, mainly legal and not those here illegally. The government are on the ropes and the sooner a general election is called, the quicker we will see a new Labour Government elected, a government of salvation and hope.
In addition to this, we have experienced resurgence in the Quisling ConDems making wild claims about what they have done for Winchester. Their personality politics are based on no evidence whatsoever. They don’t even support local businesses by having all their glossy material printed in Southend or on the antique dining room Gestetner. Their record is one of coalition disaster and fairy tale fiction.
The Labour Party has some excellent candidates with an outstanding track record of achievement. If elected, we are pledged to
- Increase the amount of Council housing in a five year plan to exceed the current under provision
- Have all planning decisions determined by Councillors, not officers, but to recruit more officers to make the process more efficient.
- Reduce the number of rough sleepers by increasing the provision of support and housing plus supporting Winchester charities to work with them
- Reduce rate and rents on empty Council owned business property to stimulate existing independent businesses and attract new entrepreneurs
- Improve all waste and recycling systems & facilities
- Crackdown on rogue & rip off landlords with a stronger & larger team of Council officers to monitor and take enforcement action quickly
- Make sure that procurement practice puts local business opportunity first
Today, the Winchester electorate have an important choice to make sure the local Council is much better balanced, dynamic, progressive and prioritising many more people focused policies. A vote for Labour is a wise choice, for the many, not the few so do it today!